TSL 567 Topic 5 Benchmark Differentiated Learning Activity GCU
Teachers aware of best practices should be able to effectively differentiate instruction and assessment within ELL and bilingual/dual language educational settings based on language differences, giftedness, and special education needs.
For this Benchmark assignment, you will create a differentiated learning experience for a group of ELLs or bilingual/dual language students with exceptionalities.
Part 1: Field Experience D
Allocate at least 2 hours in the field to support this assignment.
Spend time making observations in an educational setting that includes ELLs or bilingual/dual language students with exceptionalities.
Look for examples of how students’ cultural values and beliefs have been integrated into teaching. Gather ideas for a learning activity of your own creation that could be differentiated for ELLs or bilingual/dual language students with various special educational needs.
Document the locations and hours you spend in the field on your Clinical Field Experience Verification Form.
Part 2: Differentiated Learning Activity
Devise a learning activity to achieve specific learning objectives for a diverse group of ELLs or bilingual/dual language students with exceptionalities. You will differentiate this learning activity to accommodate a student with a specific learning disability as well as four additional students each with a different disability chosen from the 13 disability categories included in IDEA. Be sure to specify the grade and English language proficiency (ELP) levels of your intended students.
Describe your learning activity and the differentiation utilized to meet the educational needs of the five students in a 1,250-1,500 word essay. Your essay must include the following:
- The learning objectives of the activity as well as relevant information regarding your intended ELLs or bilingual/dual language students.
- A complete description of how the activity would be carried out and the materials needed.
- A statement regarding how the cultural values and beliefs of your students have been integrated into the design of this activity.
- An explanation of how this activity will be assessed.
- A description of the five disabilities you have chosen and the specific needs of your ELLs or bilingual/dual language students with each disability.
- An explanation regarding how the activity is making it possible for students with exceptionalities to be educated in the least restrictive environment (LRE).
- A description of the modifications and accommodations to the activity and how they are aligned with the learning objectives, instruction, and assessment for each of the five students you have identified.
Support your findings with at least five scholarly resources.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the?LopesWrite Technical Support articles?for assistance.
Submit the Clinical Field Experience Verification Form with the last assignment by the assignment due date. Directions for submitting can be found on the College of Education site in the Student Success Center.
Program competencies and national standards assessed in the benchmark assignment:
COE 2.1: Candidate will integrate ELL’s cultural values and beliefs in the context of teaching and learning. [TESOL 2; InTASC 3(f), 4(m)]
COE 3.3: Candidate will select various methods of identifying and allocating appropriate program placement. [TESOL 4.c; InTASC 8(a), 8(p)]
COE 4.3: Candidate will differentiate instruction and assessment with ELLs’ language differences, giftedness, and special education needs in mind. [TESOL 4.a; InTASC 6(h), 6(p), 6(u), 6(v)]