TSL 550 Topic 5 Benchmark Family Engagement Plan GCU
Create a family engagement plan in digital format (e.g., PowerPoint, Prezi) that could be presented to administrators at the school in which you have been involved. This nine-month plan should ensure school administrators that you will (1) teach curricula that are free of culturally irresponsible content; (2) engage the families of your ELLs by developing communication methods between their homes and your school; and (3) provide resources that would be useful for your ELLs and their families in your community. Your plan should include:
- Examples of culturally responsible multicultural or other educational items that will be used in more than one content area throughout the school year.
- Specific plans for at least four seasonal events (two each semester) that will engage the families of your ELLs in shared learning experiences. Provide details regarding how your events will be promoted, carried out, and how they will facilitate engagement and learning. Your events could include something like the following examples: Curriculum Night, Family Literature Night, Math Game Night, etc.
- Examples of before and after school programs that would serve as educational resources for your ELLs and families throughout the year.
- At least five community resources in your area that you would promote among the families of your ELLs.
- An example of how you would advocate for your ELLs and their families by inviting community leaders or business owners to participate in some of the educational events that you have created.
Include presenter’s notes, in-text citations, and a reference slide that contains three to five sources from the required readings or the GCU Library that support your ideas.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
Log the time that you spend with colleagues, school administrators, local community leaders, or business owners and managers gathering information for this assignment on your Clinical Field Experience Verification Form.
Submit the Clinical Field Experience Verification Form with the last assignment by the assignment due date. Directions for submitting can be found on the College of Education site in the Student Success Center.
Program competencies and national standards assessed in the benchmark assignment:
COE 2.2: Candidates will evaluate instruction and resources to ensure that they are free of culturally irresponsible content (racism, stereotyping, and discrimination). [InTASC 9m; TESOL 2.b]
COE 2.3: Candidates will develop communication methods between home and school to enhance ESL teaching and build partnerships with ELL families. [InTASC 10d; TESOL 2.d]
COE 5.5: Candidates will advocate for ELL families and act as a professional resource in their educational communities. [InTASC 10i, 10k; TESOL 5.b.6, 5.b.7]