MIS 660 Topic 5 Benchmark Telling the Analytics Story GCU
The purpose of this assignment is to create a data story and communicate findings to key stakeholders.
For this assignment, you will use the “Arizona Incomes by Zip Code” dataset. You will use Tableau to create a data story that illustrates the median household incomes of Arizona residents. The data provided includes all zip codes in Arizona. Each record is a unique zip code. The data includes the following columns:
- Zip_Code: An Arizona zip code.
- Metro_Area: Whether or not the zip code is within the Phoenix-metro area.
- City: The city name of the zip code.
- Median_Income: The median household income of each zip code based on 5-year estimates (2010-2014) from the U.S. Census Bureau.
The marketing manager has asked you to analyze income data for Arizona residents so that leaders in his department can determine the company’s advertising strategy. The marketing manager intends to share this data with other decisions makers and the marketing department staff so that everyone has a thorough understanding of how the income information can be used to determine specific target markets in upcoming advertising campaigns. Because most of these individuals do not have a strong understanding of analytics, they must be able gain the information listed below from studying the charts. In the data story, use visualizations, heat maps, boxplots, etc. to describe the following:
- How do incomes differ across zip codes within the Phoenix-metro area (using geo-mapping)?
- What is the relative difference in incomes across zip codes within the Phoenix-metro area (use a heat map)?
- What are the distribution of incomes across Arizona?
- How do incomes within the Phoenix metro area differ from those outside of that area?
Demonstrate the ability to communicate the analytics story to key stakeholders, including the marketing manager, by creating a 6-10 slide PowerPoint presentation (with speaker notes for each slide). Use the charts generated in Tableau to illustrate the data story as it relates to the income of Arizona residents. The slides and speaker notes should address the following for each chart presented.
- What information is the chart providing to stakeholders?
- Why is the information in the chart important to key stakeholders?
- How can this information be used in making decisions about how marketing dollars can be allocated?
Refer to the resource, “Creating Effective PowerPoint Presentations,” located in the Student Success Center, for additional guidance on completing this assignment in the appropriate style.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting, guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
MS Business Analytics
1.4: Utilize data visualization techniques to communicate findings.