GCU HLT 515 Week 8 Assignment Latest
HLT515 Social Behavior and Cultural Factor in Public Health
Week 8 Assignment
Establishing My Academic and Career Path
As you begin the transition from academic courses to career opportunities, reflect on how the strategies already discussed can help to guide you through the process. Consider the degree path you have chosen and what additional skills or activities you should engage in beyond the academic learning in your courses to be successful. What initiatives and goals do you have for this career? Begin and continue to establish your academic journey and career goals.
Individual courses within the program will offer opportunities through assignments that develop particular skills pertinent to specific career requirements and transfer of acquired knowledge. Other courses and specific assignments such as interview, practicum, and capstone projects provide opportunities for students to be exposed to relevant problems and creative activities in health care. These opportunities will require students to apply techniques acquired from the classroom to active investigation with experienced mentors in the field.
Research where to find career openings in your chosen field, select a position you might be interested in, and identify the qualifications and experience required. Identify these requirements as you progress through the coursework provided in your program. Take initiative to inquire and explore as you make connections with your coursework and career goals. Some items to consider further are membership in a professional association, the use of Internet job boards for research into future trends, licensure compliance throughout the country/world, and occupational conditions such as location, shifts worked, required equipment, or safety standards.
Listed below are some suggestions related to the types of information that you may want to include in this section of the document:
1) Who? Who would make up my network (e.g., peers, instructors, professionals, colleagues) essential to success in my chosen field in relation to this particular course?
2) What?What are my findings from researching competencies and/or certification requirements for my specific job role in relation to this course?
3) When?When should I begin to make the connection between my course of study and my career goals?
4) Where? Where does this course fit in my career goals? Where could I schedule an interview or internship to bridge the theory in my course with the practice of a job in the field?
5) Why?Why are peer-reviewed articles important and what is the significance of them in a career in health care?
6) How? How does this course relate to the requirements of my career goals? How can I make a link between the course and career experience that I need?
Focus on the concepts and skills learned from this course and spend time reflecting on Who, What, When, Where, Why or How, in establishing your academic and career path. Examples are provided below. The table will continue to expand as you progress through the course.
(Who, What, When, Where, Why or How) Comment Required Follow-Up
Who EXAMPLE:Donald Duck – Current manager of the T& D department at ABC hospital.He has agreed to act as a professional mentor as I complete this program.We discussed the capstone project deliverable and steps required for approval.
What EXAMPLE:Read an article entitled, “Health Care Delivery Dynamics.” This may be my target topic for project:<name of topic>
When EXAMPLE:Obtain evidence research project approval from ABC hospital. (5/31/2010)
Where EXAMPLE:Professional health care association – ACHE (American College Health Care Executives) Made contact and inquiries.
Why EXAMPLE:Based on recent readings, identify five reasons the project would be beneficial to my organization (improve patient care, enhance hospital efficiency, save money, make money, improve quality).
Tour health care setting (hospital, nursing home, home health agencies or insurance company) facility and interview IT security officer to gain understanding in the field (04/12/2010)